Shifter rebuild/modification

I wanted to get a B&M Megashifter, but they are expensive so I built my own minus the ratcheting mechanism. Starting with the worn out Mustang shifter, I welded a stove bolt to the release shaft then welded the handle from a chuck wrench to the bolt. I cut two hose clamps and welded them so that they hold the bolt securely. I also angled the shifter handle and the release handle. In addition to making the release handle, I had to make a new bushing for the pivot. I made one from a skateboard bushing. I put it in my drill press and used a hand file on it while it was spinning to turn it down to the correct size. *poor man’s lathe*
It looks like something from a rat rod but I think it’s cool. It works really well.
IMG_5590

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s